About Arthritis Australia
About Arthritis Australia
Arthritis Australia is a charitable, not-for-profit organisation and the peak arthritis consumer body in Australia. It is supported by affiliate offices in the ACT, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia.
- provides support and information to people with arthritis as well as their families and friends
- promotes awareness of the challenges facing people with arthritis across the community, and to leaders in business, industry, and government
- funds research into potential causes and possible cures as well as better ways to live with arthritis, and
- aims to keep health professionals such as physiotherapists, occupational therapists, and community nurses informed.
To bring quality of life to all people with arthritis and eliminate their suffering.
- To provide dignity, support and education for Australians suffering from arthritis and their carers.
- To radically restrict the rate of growth of arthritis in Australia.
- To be a leader in funding and advocating world class research.
- Arthritis Australia to be identified as the only independent, arthritis focused and patient driven national body.
About this website
Arthritis Australia endeavours to ensure the accuracy and relevance of information on its website.
Consumer information materials are reviewed and updated on an annual basis, with the process including a full literature review to ensure scientific accuracy. Development and review of all Arthritis Australia resources follow a stringent process which is in line with the National Health & Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Guidelines for Consumer Information. The process is as follows:
- Audit of gaps/consumer demand
- Literature reviews to support information to be included in the resource
- Resource written
- Tested with consumer focus group for understanding of content as well as layout
- Reviewed and signed off by
- Arthritis Australia’s Consumer Representative (and Board Member)
- Arthritis Australia’s Resource Development Working Group (made up of a combination of health educators and consumers)
- Arthritis Australia’s Medical Director
- Arthritis Australia’s Scientific Advisory Committee
- Australian Rheumatology Association (co-badged materials), the peak group for rheumatologists – specialists in arthritis and musculoskeletal disease;
- Other relevant organisations pertinent to subject matter – e.g. The Australian General Practice Network, Australian Physiotherapy Association, Australian Practice Nurses Association, Pharmaceutical Society of Australia and Royal Australian College of General Practitioners.
- The reviewer organisations are acknowledged on each material where appropriate.
Amendments to consumer resources are made and uploaded to the site as they occur and, overall, a six monthly review of the full website is undertaken to maintain accuracy and relevancy.
Programs & Research
Arthritis Australia funds research and advocates to improve care, management, support and quality-of-life for people with arthritis.
What is accessible design?
Find out about what accessible design is and about the Accessible Design Division.
Children and arthritis
Arthritis can happen at any age. Here, you can find management and treatment information specifically created for the more than 6,000 Australian children living with...
Sign up to Arthritis Insights
Regular updates, news and research findings delivered to your inbox: